So I’m kinda late on this one since it happened back in August, but it’s still interesting and gives you ideas of what tea to try next. The North American Tea Championship named 17 first-place winners during its Hot Tea evaluation for spring 2013 in categories including Dragonwell, Pan-Fired Green Tea, Matcha and Flavored Fruit Blends, among others. Some of the winning companies will be featured at the upcoming World Tea East , Oct. 20-22, 2013, at the Georgia World Congress Center in Atlanta, Ga. So if you find yourself in the Atlanta area, you might want to check it out.
According to the organizers, the championship is the only independent competition – evaluated by professional cuppers – to distinguish the highest quality and best tasting teas that are commercially available in the North American marketplace.
NATC’s Spring Tea Class evaluation first place winners include the following:
- Black Tusk Trading, West Lake Dragonwell – Dragonwell
- Dethlefsen & Balk Inc., Reiki Herbs and Berries – Unflavored Herbal Blends
- Dethlefsen & Balk Inc., Golden Starfruit (Starfruit/Mango) – Flavored Green Tea
- Domatcha, Genmai Cha with Matcha Blend – Genmaicha
- Firsd Tea, Pu-erh – Puer Tea
- Glenburn Tea Direct, Glenburn Darjeeling Silver Needle – White Tea
- Haraki-Gordon Green Tea, Inc., Okuhikari – Sencha
- ITO EN(North America) INC., Matcha Love-Classic – Matcha
- ITO EN(North America) INC., Hand Picked Yame Sencha-Competition Grade – Steamed Green Tea
- LA CREME COFFEE & TEA, White Peach Tea – Flavored White Tea
- OSULLOC , Sejak – Pan-Fired Green Tea
- QTrade Teas & Herbs, Green Fields – Blended Green Tea
- QTrade Teas & Herbs, Silver Spring – Blended White Tea
- QTrade Teas & Herbs, Pineapple Blues – Flavored Fruit Blends
- QTrade Teas & Herbs, Supreme Ceylon – Ceylon
- Tea & Beyond LLC dba TeaGschwendner, Bamboo Pomelo – Flavored Herbal Blends
- Tea & Beyond LLC dba TeaGschwendner, Darjeeling Soom First Flush SFTGFOP1 – Darjeeling
A complete list of first-, second- and third-place winners can be found on the North American Tea Championship site.
The next North American Tea Championship will be held in November 2013 for an evaluation of packaged single-service tea. Can’t wait to see who wins!